As, I was strolling from my office this morning I notice not one light in an un-occupied room, not two, but pretty much every light in the establishment is on! Of, course I am flipping switches as I go by and giving orders like a drill Sargent to turn the lights off. Then I realized; I sound just like my mother!
"Close the door, turn off the lights, turn off the water". Now I get it, not only for the purpose of saving a mint, but the impact it has on each and every person on this plant. The smallest things can help so much. Here are a few suggestions that will not only help keep cost down, but help mother earth.
- Turn off lights when not in use, open blinds and curtains during the day instead
- Make sure your water heater is set on a reasonable temperature
- Turn off the sprinkler when it rains and turn off the faucet while brushing your teeth
- Open doors and windows on a breezy day and turn off the A/C
- Turn your computer off while not in use, Just hit the surge protector switch when finished
- Set the timer on your coffee maker to auto on and auto off
- Use towels instead of paper towels
- Re-usable water bottles, preferably BPA free.
- Recycle, Recycle, Recycle put that little bin on the curb every week
- Consignment, sell un-used or out-grown clothes, toys and books to a Consignment store or donate to your favorite charity
- Did you know glass can be recycled over and over? Use glass containers or recyclable plastic if possible
Did you know that peek hours are from 2pm until 7pm? If you can do laundry and dishes during off hours you can drastically cut your utility bill. By not turning on the A/C you can save hundreds on your utility bill, use the ceiling fan instead. This is a small list of suggestions, for more information visit your local utility provider website. They offer great suggestions on how to conserve and recycle! If you have suggestions we would love read your comments!